Use these crunchy pickles as an addition to asian inspired salads, sandwiches or chopped fine as an ingredient in a sweet and sour relish!
- 1/2 cups unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 tsp szechewan peppercorns
- 1 lb fresh garlic scapes
- 4 whole fresh thai chilies slightly crushed
- Cut the scapes into managable pieces and pack into sterilized mason jars.
- Bring the remaining ingredients to a boil stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Pour the hot brine and spices over the scapes.
- Lid and cool the jars. Refrigerate for 1 week before using. These pickles will store for months in the fridge.
- Alternatively you can water process the jars to keep them in a dark pantry.