Quick and easy rhubarb pickle with caramelized onions.
Here’s a quick and easy way to use the great rhubarb available now at the farmers market!
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 3 medium yellow onions diced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 T fresh ginger minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 oranges juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sherry vinegar
- Sprinkle the rhubarb with the salt and let stand for one hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet warm the oil over medium heat and then add the onions.
- Cook the onions slowly stirring occasionally until they are nicely caramelized.
- Rinse the rhubarb 3 times in cold water to remove the excess salt water. Drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Add the onions and cranberries to the rhubarb.
- Bring the remaining ingredients to a boil in a pot then pour over the onion rhubarb mixture.
- Stir the mixture to combine then ladel into mason jars. This will keep in your fridge nicely for a month.
- If you want to preserve it then sterilize your jars and water process after filling them.
This works well as an accompanyment to many cheeses as well as duck, pork, rabbit and chicken!