Serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Thanksgiving in Canada arrives early to mid-October. Right when the bounty of fall produce is at its peak. This stuffing recipe was featured in our Aberfoyle Farmers Market stuffing kit and uses a wide variety of all the wonderful produce available at our market.
Although the kit is not available this year, all the amazing ingredients are, and we are providing you our fantastic recipe so that you can pick up everything you need for an incredible feast this weekend.
- 1 loaf of seasoned stuffing bread (or potato scallion) chopped in 1 inch cubes – from Lovin’ Oven Bakery
- 2 white or yellow Onions diced fine
- 1 head of celery diced fine
- 1 portabello mushroom diced fine
- 3/4 cup parsley chopped (optional- you can add fresh sage & thyme if you wish)
- 2 tbsp of “Stuff it” Poultry Seasoning from Mortar & Pestle Spice shop
- 2 cooking apples diced, not peeled1 cup of butter (salted) to be used to saute all the veggies
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chicken stock or turkey pan drippings
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: Dried cranberries
- Optional: chopped walnuts
- Put a splash of vegetable oil & 2 tbsp of butter in a large frying pan & heat on high
- Saute celery on med-high heat with a good pinch of salt & pepper until soft. Remove from heat and place in a bowl for later.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 with the onions until they are clear and then the mushrooms until they are browned.
- Put bread, cooked vegetables, apples & parsley in a roasting pan (and optional ingredients if using) and combine well.
- Sprinkle with chicken stock or turkey pan drippings.
- Cover, sealed well with foil and back on middle rack of oven.
- Check moisture levels after 30 minutes and determine if foil should remain on or remove for drier stuffing.
Optional: can be stuffed into a turkey instead of roasting in the oven separately. If cooking in a turkey, omit the chicken stock/pan drippings.